at Coney Island PrepBensonhurst | Website Posted on: Jun 29, 2016
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Elementary School Apprentice Teacher
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
We were thrilled to launch Coney Island Prep’s elementary school in August 2014. Over the next two years Coney Island Prep will continue its growth to serve approximately 1,000 scholars in grades K–12. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a bad day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be hectic and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
What We Ask In Return
You have to be all in too. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our professionals work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need professionals who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
The Apprentice Teacher position is a great opportunity for recent college graduates who are interested in a career in education, but do not have prior teaching experience or New York state certification. Offers to become a Coney Island Prep Apprentice Teacher are contingent upon acceptance into the Relay Graduate School of Education Teaching Residency, a two-year apprenticeship that allows you to gain valuable experience by taking on responsibilities both inside and outside of the classroom while receiving exceptional professional development throughout the year. Upon successfully completing the program, residents receive a Masters in the Art of Teaching (M.A.T.) degree and New York state certification.
The total cost of the Masters degree is highly subsidized through AmeriCorps grants and financial aid from Coney Island Prep, lowering the out-of-pocket expenses to just $1,250 per year. Your schedule as an Apprentice teacher will be created to accommodate your classes at Relay, and the support you receive from Coney Island Prep will be in conjunction with your coursework. As an Apprentice Teacher, you will receive training in many aspects of teaching, including mindsets and professionalism, classroom management, and teaching a rigorous, complete lesson.
Mindsets and Experience
• Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
• Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college of their choice
• Bachelors degree required
• Professional demeanor and excellent organizational skills
• Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
• An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
• A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
• Willingness to be a team player
• Support the Operations Team and Dean of Students in planning field trips, grade-wide incentive programs, and hallway and classroom decoration.
• Support teachers with general administrative responsibilities, including entering grades, making copies, and maintaining classroom libraries.
• Plan and teach one subject to a core group of scholars.
• Provide coverage and support for all grade levels and subjects as needed.
• Support students’ academic achievement through individual or small-group tutoring.
• Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the progress of all students.
• Take on a proactive part in creating a positive, structured, results-oriented and fun school culture.
• Commit to a school culture of consistency by implementing school-wide systems, structures and procedures.
Benefits and Compensation
• Apprentice Teachers receive an annualized salary of $40,000.
• Coney Island Prep contributes $2,000 to Relay Graduate School of Education for tuition assistance. Combined with AmeriCorps grants, the Masters degree (valued at $35,000) is significantly more affordable. Apprentice Teachers are responsible for covering the remaining $1,250 per year tuition.
• As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
• Apprentice Teachers are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom.
Interested applicants should go to https://coneyisland.schoolrecruiter.net/Index.aspx to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.