at Coney Island PrepGravesend | Website Posted on: Jun 29, 2016
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
High School College and Career Readiness Teacher
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
We were thrilled to launch Coney Island Prep’s elementary school in August 2014. Over the next four years Coney Island Prep will grow to serve approximately 1,000 scholars in grades K–12. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a bad day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be hectic and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
What We Ask In Return
You have to be all in too. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our professionals work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need professionals who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
Coney Island Prep High School seeks an outstanding College Readiness Teacher to help continue to foster and grow a college-going culture at Coney Island Prep. The College Readiness Teacher will be hired by the Executive Director and High School Principal, and report to the Dean of College.
Mindsets and Experience
• Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
• Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice
• Bachelor’s degree required; and at least two years of relevant experience preferred
• Commitment to using data to inform decision-making
• Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, and excellent organizational skills
• Self reflective and open to feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow and improve
• An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
• A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
• Willingness to be a team player
• Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the progress of all students
• Create academically rigorous college readiness lesson plans, materials, and assessments, and differentiate as needed in order to ensure that CIPHS juniors score an average of 1070 or above on the SATs, including the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math Sections
• Ensure that scholars have at 10 colleges of best fit on their college lists
• Teach engaging, rigorous and relevant lessons on college readiness, access, and success
• Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including scholars, families, and staff
• Work as a part of a school team, by implementing school-wide systems, structures and procedures
• Reflect on various data sources to improve your practice
• Take on a leadership role in creating a positive, structured, and fun college-bound school culture
• Design, plan, and deliver workshops for families that support Coney Island Prep’s college-bound culture
Benefits and Compensation
• Teachers at Coney Island Prep are provided with an extremely generous salary and are eligible for a school-wide performance-based bonus.
• As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
• Teachers are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom.
Interested applicants should go to https://coneyisland.schoolrecruiter.net/Index.aspx to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.